Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Filling the void

Raise a glass to me! I just finished uploading my final exercises from the online color studies course I have been taking from the Gail Harker Creative Studies Center in La Conner WA. I highly recommend to anyone with an interest in fiber and art, that they look into taking some classes at the center.

It feels good to be finished and yet, there is a huge void that has been left. The void is not bad, it just leaves me craving more. Craving more can be a really good thing as it leads me to discover my next step in the feeding of my passion. So, for now, I need to do some discerning and listening to my heart as to what the next step is.

This summer, I have some unfinished work from my Level 2 class on Design and Experimental Stitch, namely "the bead book." This little book [the tiny size of 4x4"] has about 14 pages of beaded samples. Each page has a left edge knotted buttonhole stitch applied. The work that needs to be done is applying beads/beading to the edges of each page--in a creative manor--to finish each page. Then the pages will be bound together with whichever binding method I choose.  I will post some pictures once I finish. It will keep me busy for the next several weeks.

Finishing a class or project it the absolute best feeling in the world. It just might be a time to sit back and take it all in. The color studies course produced three wonderful sketchbooks of color theory, color schemes and color studies. They will be a wonderful resource to me. One of my favorite exercises in this course was the creation of monoprints. After finishing each exercise, I had a palette full of unused acrylic paint. So, with the extra sketchbook pages, I would create monoprints by pressing the page onto the palette; producing interesting color blends. Very addicting and so frugal. I've included a picture below of some small pages I did and also a picture of a sketchbook cover.

monoprints
sketchbook cover - monoprint
Art is not a treasure in the past or an importation from another land, but part of the present life of all living and creating peoples.       --Franklin D. Roosevelt

1 comment: