Monday, August 1, 2011

Outdated assumptions

I was going through some old computer files recently and came upon this interesting little tidbit I had saved in my "inspirations" folder. It's titled: Outdated Assumptions.

It can be useful and efficient to rely on assumptions. Remember, though, that most assumptions do not remain valid forever. How many of the assumptions that you rely on have long since ceased to be true? It can be truly liberating to discard some of the old assumptions that do nothing now but hold you back. Many of your assumptions have become so thoroughly ingrained in your thinking that you no longer realize they are even there. Each moment they influence what you see, think and do.

The net result is that the person you were ten, fifteen, twenty years ago is controlling the actions you take today. Though you have grown immensely in that time, much of that growth goes unrealized because you labor under outdated assumptions.

There's no need to throw out all your old assumptions. Yet it can be extremely worthwhile to question them, and to seek to go beyond them, on a regular basis.

Watch what you think, what you say, what you do, and regularly ask why. Free yourself from outdated assumptions, and you'll be amazed at the possibilities that open up to you.
--Ralph Marsten

This quote has certainly given me a lot to think about. When it comes right down to it, I do rely on my assumptions; which is not always what I should be doing. I think I may start questioning what I "assume" is right and look at what other possibilities there might be. Guess you would call that growth...

Personal photo of purple coneflower in my back yard
Purple coneflowers "growing" in my garden.


Wayne Muller
















No comments:

Post a Comment