Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Fabric arts as a passion

The weather has changed. Temps are cooler and my focus is now switching to my indoor passion which is fabric art. This summer I took a prerequisite class at the Gail Harker Creative Studies School in Oak Harbor, WA (on Whidbey Island). The class was titled "Experimental Machine Embroidery" and it touched on everything from how to work the tensions on your sewing machine, to dying your own fabric and experimenting with free-motion stitching. Fun stuff!

I came home very excited about the class. The possibilities are limitless! I also came home with samples and notes from the class that will forever be a resource for me. Gail Harker is an accomplished author and graduate and teacher of City & Guilds of London. She is a wonderful teacher; urging you on to your fullest capabilities.

The homework involved includes finishing the sixteen (or so) sample's edges and mounting each in an attractive mat along with the notes/documentation I made in class. These will all go in a notebook. In addition she has asked each of us to create 3 new samples on newly dyed fabric in a different color scheme.

Right now, I am working on my ideas for those 3 new samples. I will be using the analogous colors in the violet/red/orange range. Tomorrow I will do the dying in my kitchen. Hope I don't make a huge mess. What I really need is a separate studio to do the dying in. I'll write that on my Christmas wish list right now...

I will take a few pictures in the coming days of the samples I have created before I send the notebook off to be evaluated by Gail Harker. Watch for them.

Sometimes have to pinch myself to realize that I am actually--finally--working on what I am passionate about. The next class I want to attend is the Level 2 Creative Machine Embroidery which is a 2-year course of study under Gail. I'm saving my pennies... maybe a good fairy will come along and wave the magic wand...

No comments:

Post a Comment